Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Trackside Log for Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I awoke to a bright sunny morning. My first destination of the day was to be Heber City, Utah. My goal was to find the Heber Valley Railroad. I drove through the valley between Provo and Heber City and quickly found the railroad in town.

  • 0848 MDT Heber City, Utah - Heber Valley Railroad power - HVRR 1813 (photo 1, photo 2)
  • 0850 MDT Heber City, Utah - Heber Valley Railroad power - UP 1011 (photo)

I managed to get some nice photos of the operation and then continued on to Ogden, Utah to visit the Utah State Railway Museum. The first thing I ran across was a Southern Pacific engine parked behind the museum.

  • 1030 MDT Ogden, Utah - Utah State Railway Museum power - SP 3769 (photo)

I wandered around for a while looking at the museum's equipment. After a while I drove by the Union Pacific yard in town and found a variety of power.

  • 1103 MDT Ogden, Utah - UP power - UP 5634-CP 8784-CP 8773-UP 7210-UP xxxx-UP 4765 & UP 9069-UP 9051 (photo)
  • 1110 MDT Ogden, Utah - UP northbound - UP 5620-FURX 8120 (photo)

After Ogden I started driving east. I saw a few Union Pacific trains en route, but unfortunately it's pretty impossible to stop and photograph them from Interstate 80. Interstates are a pain. I stopped by a few towns on the way, but didn't find anything terribly interesting. Eventually I arrived at Cheyenne, Wyoming. This time the weather was quite nice so I hunted down the Big Boy steam engine.

  • 1814 MDT Cheyenne, Wyoming - UP display - UP 4004 (photo)

I also ran across a pair of Union Pacific SD40-2s and photographed them.

  • 1840 MDT Cheyenne, Wyoming - UP power - UP 3200-UP 3203 (photo 1, photo 2)

I began making my way north ultimately bound for Chadron, Nebraska. I made it as far as Wheatland, Wyoming where I bunked down at a Motel 6 for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment