Marcus and I woke up and got on the road. Very close to the Courtyard hotel where we stayed is Duncansville, Pennsylvania where the Everett Railroad stores some of its equipment. We stopped by there to see what we could photograph.
- 0904 Duncansville, PA - Everett Railroad power - EV 1712-EV 1828 (photo 1, photo 2)
- 0910 Duncansville, PA - Everett Railroad power - EV 4 (photo)
Now we headed over to the Norfolk Southern. First stop was the Gallitzin tunnels. Soon after we arrived a westbound popped through the tunnel.
- 0937 Gallitzin, PA - NS westbound - NS 7611-NS 9835 (photo)
Marcus had never been to Horseshoe Curve before so we made the short drive and climbed the many stairs. Traffic seemed uncharacteristically quiet this day. Later we learned that Norfolk Southern had a derailment the day before. Six ethanol cars derailed west of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. That would explain it.
- 1000 Horseshoe Curve, PA - static display - PRR 7048 (photo)
- 1020 Horseshoe Curve, PA - NS westbound - NS 7618-NS 9402
- 1035 Horseshoe Curve, PA - NS 23Z west - NS 9453-NS 9836
Marcus and I wanted to check out some more locations so we headed over to Lilly to hopefully see a train or two. Fortunately intermodal trains were still running.
- 1143 Lilly, PA - NS 21A west - NS 7560-NS 9750
- 1232 Lilly, PA - NS 22Q east - NS 9443-BNSF 910 w/ helper NS 3343-NS 3349
- 1236 Lilly,PA - NS eastbound - NS 2775-BNSF 4765
I also wanted to show Marcus the railfan bridge in Cassandra so we popped over there.
- 1324 Cassandra, PA - NS helper eastbound - NS 3359-NS 3339 (photo)
- 1342 Cassandra, PA - NS helper westbound - NS 3350-NS 3337
You know it's a bad day at the tracks when all you see are helper sets running back and forth. Well, since not much was going on and it was only a two day trip, Marcus and I called it quits and drove back home. I hope the next time I go to Cresson will be more fruitful.