This was the first day for the new weekend GO Transit service between Toronto and Niagara Falls. I wanted to get a few photographs of the occasion so I drove to St. Catharines for the Maple Leaf followed by the second GO train. Lo and behold, the first westbound GO train was very late so I got to see it first. Good way to start the new service.
- 0948 St. Catharines - GO 782 west - GOT 626 (photo)
While waiting for Amtrak I noticed Canadian National train 338 cross Bridge 6 in the distance. I couldn't photograph it. No real loss.
- 1015 St. Catharines - CN 338 west -CN 5662-IC 2725-CN 4119
- 1024 St. Catharines - Via 97 east - AMTK 104 (photo)
The next GO train was due in about an hour so I changed locations to Merritton where I viewed it from the now unused Trillium Townline Spur.
- 1135 Merritton - GO 783 east - GOT 201 (GOT 612 pushing)
After climbing down I drove to Niagara Falls to find a vantage point for its return. The 6th Concession worked nicely.
- 1235 Niagara Falls - GO 784 west - GOT 612
The next train was likely to be Via 92. I returned to Merritton to wait for it.
- 1431 Merritton - Via 92 west - VIA 6421
Since the next GO train wasn't due for quite a while I had some time to kill. I checked with the St. Lawrence Seaway website and discovered that the laker Algolake was to be at Lock 3 at 1630. Perfect. fter watching the boat enter Lock 4 West I made my way to the old railway swing bridge over the second Welland Canal to see the westbound Maple Leaf and the third eastbound GO train of the day. Both arrived within minutes of each other. How convenient!
- 1800 Welland Canal - Via 98 west - AMTK 190
- 1802 Welland Canal - GO 785 east - GOT 230 (GOT 626 pushing)
And with that I was done. I departed for Binbrook after a rather successful day.