Sunday, December 11, 2005

Trackside Log for Sunday, December 11, 2005

It was a snowy morning but I wanted to head out and see what was cooking in Merritton anyway. I figured to use the time to relax. I arrived at about 0900 and heard that four trains would all arrive at Merritton around 1000. I was caught by surprise when the first train I saw was Trillium Railway. They don't normally run on weekends. Today they had a caboose and a boxcar. I figured the boxcar was for Interlake Paper in Thorold which would mean that Trillium would be running the Thorold Spur.

  • 0957 Merritton - Trillium Railway northbound - TR 108

Trillium headed into the stub track in Merritton and waited for four trains before they would be allowed to cross over the Grimsby subdivision.

  • 1005 Merritton - Via 97 east - AMTK 702
  • 1009 Merritton - CN 422 west - CN 5428-CN 2583
  • 1014 Merritton - NS 328 east - NS 9847-CRIX 5952
  • 1035 Merritton - CN 331 west - CN 5637-GTW 5947

Finally it was Trillium's turn. To cross the Grimsby subdivision they first enter the south track over beside Walnut Street and proceed west to the crossovers by the old Niagara, St. Catharines and Toronto bridge over the Grimsby subdivision. They then travel east on the north track to the yard lead also beside Walnut Street and proceed on their own track once again. I photographed them just after crossing over to the north track.

  • 1052 Merritton - Trillium Railway northbound - TR 108

After switching ends with the engine, Trillium headed north and entered what is now called the Townline Spur, part of the old Niagara, St. Catharines and Toronto track. I photographed them as the travelled the bridge over the Grimsby subdivision where they had been previously.

  • 1145 Merritton - Trillium Railway switcher - TR 108

As I predicted Trillium was headed to Interlake Paper with a boxcar. I headed up to Townline Road East where the track runs down the middle of the street and photographed them again.

  • 1200 Townline Road East, Thorold - Trillium Railway switcher - TR 108

After switching the paper plant they headed back toward Merritton. I photographed them again on the street running portion.

  • 1235 Townline Road East at Welland Street North, Thorold - Trillium Railway switcher - TR 108

Not much else was going on and I'd had enough fun with the Trillium guys, so I ran a couple of errands and got some lunch. I headed back to the Grimsby subdivision to eat it and found one more train.

  • 1353 Merritton - CN 330 east - CN 5701-CN 5457

It had been a pretty good morning but I'd had about enough so I headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment