Saturday, April 11, 2009

Trackside Log for Saturday, April 11, 2009

Shortly after I got up this morning I could hear an approaching Canadian Pacific train.  I didn't have enough time to go out to see it but watched it pass from the window.  I was surprised to see a pair of CEFX AC4400s for motive power.  It turned out that the train was 254 with no work at Welland.  If I was going to photograph it, I'd have to drive ahead and it wouldn't be easy.  I got my gear and headed out.  My first attempt was for House Road.  As I crossed Point Abino Road I could see 254's headlights not far away.  At least I was ahead of it, but not by much.  The light angle at House Road wasn't to my liking yet so I continued on to Fort Erie where I knew the light angle would be much better.  I only needed to wait about five minutes before 254 came around the bend.

  • 0940 Fort Erie - CP 254 east - CEFX 1048-CEFX 1026

After several photographs I returned home to work on my website.  After a while the Hamilton Subdivision dispatcher issued a clearance to a northbound out of Welland yard with a "do not proceed" instruction.  I went down the street to photograph the southbound.

  • 1350 Fenwick - CP 426 south - CP 8833-CP 8780
I waited for the northbound to pass over the defect detector at mile 18.3 and then headed out for a photograph of it.

  • 1430 Fenwick - CP 247 north - CP 8643-CP 9524-SOO 6027-CP 8798
And that was it for daylight trains for Canadian Pacific.  It was a good Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment