Sunday, December 31, 2006

Trackside Log for Sunday, December 31, 2006

Today I was heading back to Ontario and I decided to take the scenic route. I checked out of the Super 8 in Altoona, Pennsylvania and meandered my way to Lewistown Junction. The Juniata Valley Railroad is based there but everything was tucked into the shops when I arrived. I stuck around the station for a while though to see if Norfolk Southern would run any trains by. It took a while, but some patience paid off.

  • 1155 Lewistown Junction, PA - NS 21G west - NS 9424-BNSF 5229-NS 9773
  • 1205 Lewistown Junction, PA - NS westbound - NS 9882-NS 9138-NS 9433-NS 9957

Two days previous I visited the Nittany and Bald Eagle in Lock Haven. It was on my way back home so I decided to head back there to see if anything had changed. The North Shore switcher was still there and NBER 1601 was parked in the yard, but the CF7 was nowhere to be seen. I'd already photographed everything there so I moved on. I followed the Norfolk Southern Buffalo Line north out of town with a destination of Mount Jewett in mind. The scenery along the river valley was spectacular. I'll definitely have to drive this route again!

After a while I arrived at Renovo. At one time this town was host to a huge yard and shop facility. Sadly much of it is now gone. However, sitting outside the Renovo Rail Industries facility was an old Pennsylvania Railroad caboose and boxcar.

  • 1409 Renovo, PA - stored cars - PRR 411846-PRR 498313

Just after arriving in town I heard a Norfolk Southern crew talking to the dispatcher about parking their train. Just outside of town I found the locomotive consist.

  • 1418 Renovo, PA - NS power - NS 8675-NS 3445-NS 3051

I then continued along the river valley first encountering Keating where R.J. Corman meets the Buffalo Line. There was nothing noteworthy so I moved on. Next up was Driftwood where the former Pittsburg and Shawmut (now Buffalo & Pittsburgh) interchange is located. I'm unable to express my surprise for what I found there.

  • 1507 Driftwood, PA - parked power - NBER 2427

The missing CF7 was found. I certainly didn't expect to see it on the Buffalo and Pittsburgh tracks!

I continued my journey following the Buffalo Line until arriving at Emporium. Here I turned west and left the Norfolk Southern tracks behind and briefly followed an abandoned right of way on my way to Mount Jewett. It was getting pretty dark when I got to Mount Jewett. I considered visiting the remains of the Kinzua Viaduct but elected to pass by since it would be difficult to see in the waning light. I could find nothing else notworthy in town at first glance so I turned north for the border. I didn't photograph very much this day but I had a fabulous day. My mini trip to close off 2006 was excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment