It was a stunningly sunny day for a change so I got up and drove for the border. It had been a while since I'd last spent a day in Angola, New York. Traffic was very light at the Peace Bridge so I made good time. No sooner had I arrived at Sturgeon Point Road when a trio of eastbounds appeared including a late Amtrak.
- 0946 Angola, NY - CSX Q114 east - CSXT 4775-CSXT 4829
- 1003 Angola, NY - Amtrak 48 east - AMTK 204-AMTK 95
- 1009 Angola, NY - CSX eastbound - CSXT 5261-CSXT 5251
- 1059 Angola, NY - CSX westbound - CSXT 4803-CSXT 5375
- 1117 Angola, NY - CSX eastbound - CSXT 250-CSXT 172
- 1129 Angola, NY - CSX eastbound - CSXT 9012-CSXT 7865
- 1205 Angola, NY - CSX westbound - CSXT 5430-CSXT 5234
- 1217 Angola, NY - CSX westbound - CSXT 5412-CSXT 741
Then at 1229 I got hosed by a meet right in front of me. The westbound had a Union Pacific SD70M for a leader with a CSX trailing. The eastbound was a pair of CSX GE's. I was unable to get decent photographs of either train.My stomach was trying to tell me something so I drove into the village of Angola for food. I picked up a tuna sandwich at The Twister and ate it trackside.
- 1320 Angola, NY - CSX Q279 west - CSXT 9041-HLCX 7175
- 1332 Angola, NY - CSX eastbound - CSXT 5266-CSXT 7680
- 1341 Angola, NY - CSX Q274 east - CSXT 669-HLCX 7231
After lunch the angle of the sun was getting poor so I made my way to Blasdell for a better location. As soon as I arrived a local police officer checked me out. He was the second. An Evans officer stopped at Angola. In eight years I'd never been approached around western New York until this day. Weird.
- 1440 Blasdell, NY - CSX Q109 west - CSXT 5118-CSXT 4816
- 1451 Blasdell, NY - CSX westbound - CSXT 5001-CSXT 662
- 1510 Blasdell, NY - NS 309 west - NS SD60-NS C40-8W
- 1601 Blasdell, NY - CSX Q378 east - NS 7514-CSXT 7794
- 1616 Blasdell, NY - CSX S290 east - CSXT 7521
- 1644 Blasdell, NY - CSX Q167 west - CSXT 4809-CSXT 685
- 1645 Blasdell, NY - South Buffalo westbound - BPRR 1511-BPRR 1512
- 1657 Blasdell, NY - CSX eastbound - CSXT 5326-CSXT 8663
- 1717 Blasdell, NY - CSX eastbound - CSXT 625-CSXT 7584
- 1740 Blasdell, NY - CSX Q291 west - CSXT 7358-CSXT 8536
- 1747 Blasdell, NY - CSX Q119 west - CSXT 5433-CSXT 5410
- 1810 Blasdell, NY - CSX Q116 east - CSXT 5480-CSXT 5305
While at Blasdell a variety of people happened by. After 1800 I was getting tired so I bid farewell to New York and made for home. When passing through Netherby I heard the Canadian National NI dispatcher mention that trains 431 and 333 were approaching Robins. I managed to catch the latter.
- 1857 Welland - CN 333 east - CN 5676
Then while passing Canadian Pacific's Welland Yard I espied train 427. I aimed to see it in Fenwick.
- 1948 Fenwick - CP 427 north - CP 5750-CP 5833-CP 5664
It had been a busy but photographically productive day.