Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Trackside Log for Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This morning I awoke very early and couldn't get back to sleep so I figured I may as well get up. So I left the motel just after 0600. The plan for the day was to drive to Sault Ste. Marie and take some photographs along the way. The day started out cloudy and foggy and at 0630 it wasn't very bright but I swung by the Canadian Pacific yard in Mactier anyway. A southbound was just moving to the south siding switch when I arrived.

  • 0634 Mactier - CP 112 south - CP 9731 (photo)

I then drove to the opposite end of the yard to check for a distributed power unit. Found it!

  • 0644 Mactier - CP 112 south DPU - CP 9662 (photo)

Also in the yard was a track inspection train and the Sperry Rail Services car from the previous night.

  • 0646 Mactier - CP TEC train north - CP 8205 (photo 1, photo 2)
  • 0647 Mactier - Sperry Rail Services equipment - SRS 119 (photo)

After a few photographs I continued north to Sudbury. I didn't find anything photo worthy at Canadian Pacific or Huron Central so I headed west to Sault Ste. Marie while keeping an eye on the Huron Central tracks. For 179 miles all I saw on the rails were three hi-rail trucks. Oh well. At least when I got to Sault Ste. Marie I found a yard job switching.

  • 1312 Sault Ste. Marie - HCRY switcher - QGRY 2006 (photo)

I proceeded to reacquaint myself with town. My last visit to Sault Ste. Marie was in May 2003 when I was on a three week IBM contract to Algoma Steel. After a little tour I drove north along the Algoma Central to Searchmont to check out photograph possibilities. It was starting to rain but I found a place to take a picture of the southbound Agawa Canyon Tour Train. I waited for a while but it arrived eventually at mile 12.

  • 1730 Heyden - ACR 634 south - CN 106 (ex-SKTX 289)/CN 105 (ex-SKTX 283) (photo)

Since I was heading back to Sault Ste. Marie anyway I made my way to the Algoma Central station to see the train again.

I was rather tired from all the day's driving so I decided to check into my room at the Bel-Air Motel for the night and have supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment