Saturday, September 11, 2010

Trackside Log for Saturday, September 11, 2010

This evening was the barbecue for the Binbrook Fair volunteers. The day was supposed to be relatively nice so I decided to take Missy out for a drive before we went to Binbrook. Our first stop was in Copetown to see what was going on. Nothing was moving around except for VIA train 70.

  • 0926 Copetown - VIA 70 east - VIA 6428

Since nothing else was in the area I continued westward to Paris. Once there I obtained some breakfast and headed for Paris Junction. Before long the training train, number 310, appeared from behind some parked tank cars. At the same time train 148 arrived. I got hosed for photographing the intermodal train. Oh well.

  • 1022 Paris Junction - CN 310 east - CN 5539-CN 2448
  • 1024 Paris Junction - CN 148 east - CN 8816-CN 5613

Nothing else seemed to be pending so I started heading west again. Right around Etonia I noticed a dirty yellow train across the fields. I turned around and headed back to the junction to catch the eastbound rail grinding train.

  • 1145 Paris Junction - eastbound Loram rail grinding train - RG 309

Once again, nothing else was around. The morning was agonisingly quiet on the Canadian National's Dundas Subdivision. So off to Woodstock I drove. Just as I was arriving at the Canadian Pacific station there, I noticed that Ontario Southland was in town setting off cars for interchange. First I was able to photograph them in front of the station.

  • 1235 Woodstock - OSR eastbound - OSRX 378-OSRX 503

Next I moved a little west to photograph Ontario Southland setting off what I soon discovered was the first half of their train in the interchange tracks.

  • 1303 Woodstock - OSR eastbound - OSRX 378-OSRX 503

After waiting for them to lift the second half I watched them spot those cars as well.

  • 1330 Woodstock - OSR eastbound - OSRX 378-OSRX 503

While Ontario Southland lifted their traffic for the return westbound trip Canadian Pacific's Hamilton Turn pulled through town.

  • 1357 Woodstock - CP Hamilton Turn west - CP 3031-CP 3114

Since Ontario Southland took over the Canadian Pacific St. Thomas Subdivision on December 15, 2009 I'd never managed to photograph them running on it. I took the opportunity to chase them from Woodstock to Ingersoll.

  • 1407 Dorland - OSR westbound - OSRX 503-OSRX 378
  • 1419 Beachville - OSR westbound - OSRX 503-OSRX 378
  • 1440 Ingersoll - OSR westbound - OSRX 503-OSRX 378

During the whole time I was in Woodstock and Ingersoll a single Canadian National freight passed through. I was pretty frustrated with CN so I started heading back to Binbrook. I took the scenic route via Tillsonburg, Delhi and Jarvis but didn't find anything interesting to photograph. Oh well, off to the barbecue!

No comments:

Post a Comment