Friday, April 13, 2012

Trackside Log for Friday, April 13, 2012

I decided a couple weeks ago that it would be nice to take this day off and make a long weekend of it to head down to Cresson, Pennsylvania. Having two long weekends in a row is rather nice. So, having left Missy at my sister's house the night before, I set off nice and early for the border. My plan was to follow the Buffalo & Pittsburgh to Salamanca, New York and then the Western New York & Pennsylvania to Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. I spent the entire morning driving without seeing any rail traffic. The first encounter with a train was at almost noon in Renovo, Pennsylvania.

  • 1158 Renovo, PA - NS H4W north - NS 2740-NS 6803

When I got into Renovo proper I discovered a Trackmobile shunting cars for McKees Rocks Company.

  • 1203 Renovo, PA - McKees Rocks Company switcher (Trackmobile)

When I arrived at Lock Haven I passed by the Norfolk Southern yard to see if anything was happening. A variety of NS and Nittany & Bald Eagle power was on hand but not really photographable. I resumed my trek toward Cresson.

After checking into The Station Inn I made my way to Gallitzin since the light was quite nice for photographing westbound exiting the tunnel. I didn't have to wait long for one.

  • 1550 Gallitzin, PA - NS westbound - NS 6786-NS 9015

Just after the train had passed by I heard a crew talking to the Norfolk Southern dispatcher. A large light power move was about to depart Cresson. I decided the place to be to photograph it was probably Lilly.

  • 1621 Lilly, PA - NS westbound light power - NS 7203-NS 7202-NS 7214-NS 7205-NS 7207-NS 7212-NS 7204-NS 7201-NS 7200-NS 7213

That consist was made up of over half of Norfolk Southern's roster of SD80MACs. They only have 17.

I decided to hang out on the Over Bridge Street bridge for a while to see what traffic might be in the area.

  • 1628 Lilly, PA - NS westbound helper - NS 6300-NS 6318
  • 1637 Lilly, PA - NS eastbound helper - NS 6322-NS 6310
  • 1653 Lilly, PA - NS westbound - NS 9363-NS 9719-NS 9859
  • 1657 Lilly, PA - NS eastbound - NS 9361-NS 9733

The shadows were starting to creep in and I was getting a bit hungry so I drove back to The Station Inn for the evening. After stowing my gear in my room and a supper at the Cresson Springs Family Restaurant I decided to relax on the porch of the inn for a while.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a great trip! I look forward to more from this trip.

    ReplyDelete