Monday, July 23, 2012

Trackside Log for Monday, July 23, 2012

This morning whilst returning from an appointment I happened upon the Southern Ontario Railway beginning their work day. Three of their GP20Ds were switching what remains of the Cayuga Subdivision in Jarvis and pulled across Highway 3.

  • 1120 Jarvis - SOR 596 south - CEFX 2014-CEFX 2015-CEFX 2019

Later, on my way home from work, I passed by Canadian Pacific's Welland Yard and discovered the currently assigned duo of GP9s heading north with a pair of pipe loads destined for Cappco in Smithville. I had enough time to go home, get my other camera, let Missy outside, and still photograph it in Fenwick.

  • 1654 Fenwick - CP northbound local - CP 8211-CP 8200

I've been meaning to photograph the delivery of these pipe cars to Cappco so I immediately drove to Smithville. Upon my arrival, the crew was about to cut off the loaded cars before pulling out some empties. My first photograph was the pair of GP9s pulling the empties into the siding.

  • 1717 Smithville - CP local - CP 8211-CP 8200

CP 8200 is one of a handful of Canadian Pacific GP9s that have received modifications to increase sand capacity. I haven't photographed the back end of these units very often; I did so today.

  • 1719 Smithville - CP local - CP 8211-CP 8200

Next the local coupled the empties onto the loads before backing them into the Cappco siding.

  • 1722 Smithville - CP local - CP 8211-CP 8200

All that remained was for the local to run around their empties before returning to Welland Yard. Since the interesting movements were complete I headed home to take Missy for her walk.

Shortly before I began writing this entry I read a press release from Genesee & Wyoming Inc. from this morning regarding their planned purchase of RailAmerica. One of RailAmerica's railways is the Southern Ontario Railway, the subject of my morning photography. Should the plan come to fruition, Genesee & Wyoming would become the operator of 111 railways around the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment