Thursday, August 18, 2005

Trackside Log for Thursday, August 18, 2005

Today after work the weather was nice and sunny so I headed to the tracks. I usually head over to the Netherby Road crossing of the CN Stamford subdivision first since there are signals on both sides. Well, I didn't need the signals to tell me there was a train coming. There was an eastbound right there. I hopped out and shot CN 5639 east. That was convenient.

  • 1703 Netherby Rd., Welland - CN eastbound (531?) - CN 5639

At this point I could hear CP job 3 working out at Brookfield so I headed over to see what they were up to. I turned onto Brookfield Road and looked east down the CP Stevensville spur expecting to see what I always see, nothing. Wrong! Job 3 was headed east on the spur. In the three years I've been in the Niagara area I've never been able to catch a train on the Stevensville spur. So I chased down to the Schihl Road crossing for the first shot. CP 3096 was pushing four boxcars and a caboose toward Stevensville.

  • 1715 Schihl Rd., Netherby - CP job 3 east - CP 3096

The Stevensville spur is the ex-Conrail/Penn Central/New York Central/Michigan Central main line to Buffalo. CP is currently only using the track from Brookfield to Stevensville and only about twice a month. The track between Stevensville and Fort Erie is out of service. Consequently the line is quite overgrown and difficult to find photo locations. I next photographed job 3 in Stevensville at the Stevensville Road level crossing.

  • 1730 Stevensville Rd., Stevensville - CP job 3 east - CP 3096

Job 3 switched the ACG Canada plant for a while before heading back to Brookfield. In the meantime I headed back to see what other locations I might like to photograph. I decided to photograph job 3 at the western end of the spur at Brookfield Road. One of the NYC's old wooden sheds is still at the crossing so I used it as a prop. On the westbound return trip job 3 consisted of just CP 3096 and the caboose.

  • 1805 Brookfield Rd., Brookfield - CP job 3 west - CP 3096
Job 3 then headed back to Welland yard and my chase was done. It was starting to cloud up so I called it a day. All in all everything worked out very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment