Saturday, July 29, 2006

Trackside Log for Saturday, July 29, 2006

Vacation 2006 Day One

This was the first day of my vacation. Well, actually I did drive to West Virginia yesterday, but that was a six hour non-stop drive with no trackside time. Because Watco pulled out of the Appalachian & Ohio since my last visit in March I decided to start in Buckhannon. The new opperator, Paducah & Louisville, had a slug set on the property.

  • 0721 EDT Buckhannon, WV - A&O power - AO 2102-AO 2105
Since there wasn't much to see in Buckhannon I left for Gassaway. On the way I noticed something I was hoping to find, two CEFX SD90MAC's parked in the Burnsville wye.
  • 0817 EDT Burnsville, WV - A&O power - CEFX 130-CEFX 125

With that goal accomplished I continued to Gassaway.

  • 0853 EDT Gassaway, WV - Elk River Railroad power - ELKR 1-ELKR 3-ELKR 2-ELKR 5
  • 0906 EDT Gassaway, WV - Elk River Railroad power - ELKR 4

My primary goal in Gassaway was to get a decent photo of Elk River 5 that was hidden in March. Having met that goal as well I was off to Thurmond. First I was shocked to find a work train running the line.

  • 1040 EDT Thurmond, WV - R.J. Corman northbound - RJCX 1804
  • 1050 EDT Thurmond, WV - R.J. Corman northbound - RJCX 1804

Next I was surprised by word of a coal train coming shortly. I was unaware that R.J. Corman was hauling coal on this line. In fact this was just the fourth such train.

  • 1140 EDT Thurmond, WV - R.J. Corman Z259-112 west - CSXT 245-CSXT 7585
  • 1156 EDT Thurmond, WV - CSX eastbound - CSXT 665-CSXT 414
  • 1219 EDT Thurmond, WV - R.J. Corman Z259-112 east - CSXT 7585-CSXT 245
  • 1339 EDT Thurmond, WV - CSX westbound - CSXT 8637-CSXT 8645-CSXT 4609

I should mention that the old Chesapeake & Ohio depot is beautifully restored by the National Park Service. Inside are some nice exhibits. I encourage people to visit.

Well, it was starting to rain and I had accomplished my goals for Thurmond. My vacation was supposed to start in Kentucky so I set out for the Courtyard hotel in Lexington where I had reserved a room using my Marriott rewards points. Two years living in a hotel does have some benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment