Saturday, June 26, 2010

Trackside Log for Saturday, June 26, 2010

I had just gotten up and was getting ready to take Missy for her walk this morning. I was interrupted by southbound horns so I preempted our walk with a quick drive to Chantler Road to see what it was.

  • 0749 Fenwick - CP 254 south - CP 8729-CP 9509-CP 8208

Canadian Pacific really has to do something about those old 9500 series AC4400CWs. CP 9509 was really grim. It was beyond grimy and an engine fire had done some significant paint damage. CP 8208 was set off in Welland Yard in trade for CP 8206.

After our walk I was still listening to the scanner and could hear Trillium Railway switching somewhere. It wasn't raining yet so I decided to see if I could find them. I drove past Feeder Yard just in time to see the train pop around the corner. Sometimes I have impeccable timing.

  • 0939 Feeder - Trillium Railway eastbound - TRRY 1859

I've been wanting to photograph the railway lift bridge over the old Welland Canal for a while so I figured, although it was cloudy and threatening rain, I may as well make it today. Unfortunately I chose a bad day for it. It turned out that a bicycle race was taking place around Dain City and Welland so traffic in the small community was snarled. I did manage to get to St. Clair Drive with plenty of time though.

  • 0956 Dain City - Trillium Railway eastbound - TRRY 1859

I followed the train into Welland but it was starting to rain so I abandoned the chase and drove back home with Missy.

After something to eat I heard train 246 south report the south siding switch Smithville returned to the normal position. The rain had stopped again so Missy and I walked up to the crossing for a look.

  • 1156 Fenwick - CP 246 south - CP 8735-CP 9825

Just as the train arrived it started to sprinkle again so we shuffled on back indoors.

After Missy's evening walk I was following along with the G20 summit protests in Toronto when I heard a Canadian Pacific southbound train call out the Boyle mile sign. I took Missy down to River Road for a photograph under the brightest skies I've seen all day.

  • 1759 Fenwick - CP 426 south - CP 9606-CP 9675

After the train pulled by we returned home for something to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment