Saturday, January 29, 2011

Trackside Log for Saturday, January 29, 2011

The previous day was my final day working for Canadian Tire Financial Services. As a break before my new career as an insurance agent I decided to visit Cresson, Pennsylvania for a few days. I left home at approximately 0700 and drove south. When I arrived at Salamanca, New York I noticed some freight parked with an SBU attached. A Buffalo & Pittsburgh train was parked near the old Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh station.

  • 0957 Salamanca, NY - BPRR SIJB south - BPRR 454-OHCR 4602-BPRR 458-GECX 2012-GECX 90-CSXT 685

As I photographed the train a crew began work. I scouted ahead to find a good location for another picture. I chose a spot where the former Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh crossed over the former Erie. Then I waited. I could hear the crew switching in Salamanca but didn't expect them to take an hour.

  • 1109 Carrollton, NY - BPRR SIJB south - BPRR 454-OHCR 4602-BPRR 458

Evidently part of the delay was due to the GE test engine, engineering car and CSX AC6000 getting set off in Salamanca. However, with the photograph committed to ones and zeros I moved on to the Western New York and Pennsylvania in Olean. While waiting for the Buffalo & Pittsburgh I was listening to the WNYP work. I guessed (and hoped) it was the train to Driftwood. When I got to Olean only a C-430 was outside.

  • 1128 Olean, NY - WNYP power - WNYP 430
Then I turned south to follow the former Pennsylvania Railroad's Buffalo Line. At the first crossing I encountered I noticed the snow had been cleared from the flangeways. Excellent! The DFT was out there somewhere. Eventually, after some very snowy driving conditions, I found them at Driftwood. I first managed to take a photograph at North Driftwood as they ran light to make their lift.

  • 1334 North Driftwood, PA - WNYP DFT north - WNYP 637-WNYP 631-WNYP 630

I wanted a picture of them actually pulling some freight so I scouted up the track until I found a photogenic view at South Emporium. Then it was the waiting game all over again.

  • 1437 South Emporium, PA - WNYP DFT north - WNYP 637-WNYP 631-WNYP 630

The day was getting on so I turned back around toward Lock Haven again. There was some parked motive power in the yard but the weather and their location weren't conducive to photography. Thus I continued onward to Cresson and The Station Inn for the evening. Considering I had never been able to photograph either the Buffalo & Pittsburgh freight or the Western New York and Pennsylvania DFT before, this was a good day out.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I especially like the last photo of those Alco's chugging smoke!

    Cheers,

    Jason

    ReplyDelete