Sunday, July 17, 2011

Trackside Log for Sunday, July 17, 2011

I awoke to the sound of Canadian Pacific locomotive horns this morning. It was a bright sunny morning and hadn't heated up too much yet so I figured I should go out to photograph something now before it became oppressively hot. Missy and I drove to River Road to photograph the southbound.

  • 0732 Fenwick - CP 246 south - CP 8849-CP 9700

After we had arrived back home I turned on the scanner to hear that train 255 was about to depart Welland Yard. Well, it still wasn't overly hot so I popped back out to Chantler Road to see it too.

  • 0810 Fenwick - CP 255 north - CP 9759-CP 8553

Once the train had moved on I returned home once again. I left the scanner on for the rest of the day but aside from Job 3 and a CN transfer to Trillium, neither of which travel to Fenwick, all was quiet for nearly twelve hours. Then I was startled by the Hamilton Subdivision dispatcher talking to a southbound. I got my camera and headed out to Chantler Road again to intercept it.

  • 1934 Fenwick - CP 626 south - CP 8753-CP 9643

Sadly even the ethanol train had boring power. Oh well, at least I was able to make a pretty photograph out of it. I've been meaning to photograph that angle for quite a few years but for various reasons never actually made it happen until today.

2 comments:

  1. The cool of the morning. I'm sure Missy appreciated that, too . No matter the weather , those trains keep moving. I wonder if there are conditions that prevent them from going forth besides snow or track damage. Does intense heat or cold ever stop these big machines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know about what cold or heat can do to the track to stop trains (rail breaks and sun kinks respectively). I haven't heard of anything directly related to the locomotive. Well, unless the engine stops in the cold and isn't drained. Cracked block coming up.

    ReplyDelete