Monday, July 26, 2010

Trackside Log for Monday, July 26, 2010

I decided the previous week to take this Monday off as my "floater holiday." I didn't really have a plan for the day but the weather was supposed to be quite nice. When I got up in the morning I made up my mind to photograph the "Maple Leaf" somewhere. I got Missy and headed towards the Canadian National Grimsby Subdivision but made a stop at Port Robinson along the way. I was hoping to find Canadian National train 421. As I was heading along Allanport Road I saw the crossing activate in front of me. I'd found train 421. I reversed direction to Biggar Road and waited for the train to finish switching the yard.

  • 0953 Port Robinson - CN 421 east - CN 2614-CN 8005
Now it was time to head for the Grimsby Subdivision. I was too late for St. Catharines so I drove on to Niagara Falls. I arrived with plenty of time. Quite a few passengers were waiting to embark for New York.

  • 1032 Niagara Falls - Via 97/Amtrak 64 east - AMTK 142

Missy was getting pretty tired so after a few photographs of the "Maple Leaf" we headed back toward home. The lift bridge was up at Allanport so I took a detour down to the Townline Tunnel and through Dain City where I stumbled upon Trillium Railway running some cars into Feeder Yard. I stopped long enough for a photograph at Townline Road.

  • 1144 Dain City - Trillium Railway westbound - TRRY 1859

I continued my trek homeward past the Canadian Pacific's Welland Yard where the only activity was a maintenance of way crew. After some minor detours around paving crews at Chantler Road and Church Street we arrived home where Missy passed out for the afternoon.

That night I walked Missy down to the Church Street crossing before bed and watched train 254 pass by in the dark.

  • 2317 Fenwick - CP 254 south - CP 8531-CP 8607

Waiting in Welland Yard to head north was train 247. Just before I went to bed it passed through town.

  • 2358 Fenwick - CP 247 north - CP 8554-CP 9509

Then it was bed time. I only took one day off so it was back to work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment