Monday, March 21, 2011

Trackside Log for Monday, March 21, 2011

The previous day was the Montreal St. Patrick's Day Parade. Unfortunately I was only able to see about a half hour of it. I spent the rest of the day in bed at the Comfort Inn not feeling well. However, I awoke this morning feeling much better although not completely well. Nevertheless it was time to drive back to Ontario. Once again Sam and I would make our route through New York.

The morning started by snowing and would remain that way until we crossed the border into New York. We only made one stop in Quebec at Huntingdon to see if there was anything parked there. CSX provided nothing of interest so we kept driving. Our route followed the former New York Central St. Lawrence Division south. Activity on this track, now operated by CSX, is quite limited so I didn't really expect to much. Sam had a few packages she wanted to post so we located the post office in Gouverneur. While she conducted her business I made a quick run over to the tracks to check them out. I was stopped at the Beckwith Street crossing behind a school bus when I heard horns approaching from the south. Unbelievable.

  • 1429 Gouverneur, NY - CSX Q621 north (CN 327) - CSXT 554-CSXT 7633

It was getting rather dark under the overcast skies. The only other stop we made was in Syracuse to visit a friend of Sam's. Otherwise we drove directly back home.

The weekend was marred by my illness but the weather for the parade was perfect and by all accounts it went perfectly. Although I wasn't as healthy as I would have liked for the drive to and from Montreal at least I was able to photograph some interesting trains.

No comments:

Post a Comment