Sunday, October 09, 2011

Trackside Log for Sunday, October 9, 2011

This morning I decided to go to Niagara Falls to see the "Maple Leaf" since it had been quite a long time. I took Missy down to the Victoria Avenue overpass and waited. The train arrived a half hour late having been delayed by a ship at the Welland Canal.

  • 1046 Niagara Falls - VIA 97 east - AMTK 117

After photographing the train passing by a very sad looking Canadian National yard I drove to the VIA station for a couple more photographs. This is when I noticed that AMTK 117 is quite the "bondo buggy."

  • 1054 Niagara Falls - VIA 97 east - AMTK 117

Next Missy and I started to head for home. When I arrived at Clifton I saw Canadian National train 421 entering the Stamford Subdivision. The new plan was to drive to Allanburg to photograph it since one can easily beat a train between the two locations.

  • 1126 Allanburg - CN 421 east - CN 8840-IC 2719-CN 5704

Train 421 always sets off traffic in Port Robinson so I had plenty of time to drive ahead to photograph it again. I chose Brookfield for my next destination. Normally the train also sets off a locomotive so I expected the CN 5704 to be missing.

  • 1216 Brookfield - CN 421 east - CN 8840-IC 2719

Having now photographed the train twice I drove home with a side trip to Canadian Pacific's Welland Yard. My timing at Phillips Road was uncanny. Just as I drove over the crossing I could see a southbound departing.

  • 1235 Welland - CP 246 south - CP 9532-CP 9610

What was originally intended to be a short jaunt to Niagara Falls to see the "Maple Leaf" turned into a bit of a tour of Niagara. Fortunate timing can be quite entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment