Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Trackside Log for Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Vacation 2006 Day Four

It was shaping up to be another bright but hot day. First objective was to find the Alabama Railroad in Monroeville. After finding the tracks in town abandoned I searched east of town and found the Pioneer locomotives beginning their day.

  • 0857 CDT Monroeville, AL - Alabama Railroad power - PREX 3001
  • 0858 CDT Monroeville, AL - Alabama Railroad power - PREX 805-PREX 2026

I then reversed direction and headed for Georgiana. On my way into town I noticed a CSX train waiting for a signal. Additionally I found a caboose celebrating hometown boy Hank Williams.

  • 1025 CDT Georgiana, AL - Hank Williams caboose
  • 1036 CDT Georgiana, AL - CSX southbound - CSXT 7634-HLCX 6207-GCFX 3068
I followed the Three Notch tracks east toward Andalusia. When I got there the power was out. Evidently I missed it somewhere along the way. However, one engine was parked on a siding.
  • 1139 CDT Andalusia, AL - Three Notch power - GORX 2886

Next I wanted to find the Wiregrass Central. I knew their junction with CSX was in Newton so I started there. Luck was with me. The train pulled into town as I did. I waited for them to switch the junction and head west.

  • 1500 CDT Newton, AL - Wiregrass Central westbound - GORX 9707-GORX 6528-GORX 9702-GORX 2866

My luck ran out when a cloud moved in front of the sun. I decided to chase the train west. I picked two interesting locations and was rewarded with nice sun each time. Now before I got into position for the photograph at Daleville I accidentally found myself on Fort Rucker at The United States Army Aviation Center of Excellence. This isn't where I intended to be. However, the guard very cordially invited me for a tour of the base. Sadly I didn't have enough time that day or I would have. The Apache helicopters flying around were fascinating. But I got myself turned around and in position for a photograph of the Wiregrass Central.

  • 1540 CDT Daleville, AL - Wiregrass Central westbound - GORX 9707-GORX 6528-GORX 9702-GORX 2866
  • 1615 CDT Coppinville, AL - Wiregrass Central westbound - GORX 9707-GORX 6528-GORX 9702-GORX 2866

After some nice photographs I turned east for Dothan and another G&O railroad, the Chattahoochie & Gulf.

  • 1704 CDT Dothan, AL - Chattahoochie & Gulf power - GORX 2882-GORX 2883-GORX 2829

Next I drove to Dawson, Georgia to spend the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment