Monday, May 19, 2003

Trackside Log for Monday, May 19, 2003

This was the day I was heading to Sault Ste. Marie to start a contract at Algoma Steel. I was to set up a WebSphere Host Publisher environment over three weeks. I rented a car and meandered my way north. The idea was to stop here and there to photograph the railways. My first stop was at the Canadian Pacific yard in Mactier.

  • Mactier, Ontario - CP southbound - CP 8534-CP 8554

My next destination was the Canadian Pacific and Canadian National interchange at Reynolds/Foley. I heard on the scanner that a Canadian Pacific southbound was on the way. My timing was going to be about perfect. Just as I got out of the car I noticed a large black cloud headed my way. I quickly ducked back into the car to avoid the swarm of black flies. I bundled up tight and braved the horde for a photograph.

  • Reynolds (Foley), Ontario - CP southbound - CP 9574-CP 8626

Just after the Canadian Pacific train I heard a Canadian National approaching as well. I continued the short distance north to South Parry for a photograph.

  • South Parry, Ontario - CN southbound - CN 2541-CN 9486

I didn't make another stop until I arrived at Sudbury. I headed to the Canadian Pacific yard and the interchange with the Huron Central Railway. There was some Canadian Pacific motive power present but I was more interested in the Huron Central. I found two units to photograph.

  • Sudbury, Ontario - Huron Central Railway power - QGRY 2006-HCRY 208

There was little activity in Sudbury so I decided to make my way west toward Sault Ste. Marie. The idea was to follow the Huron Central Railway the whole way. Highway 17, the Trans-Canada Highway, runs parallel most of the way. I'd only driven about 18 miles before I stumbled upon train 912 east.

  • White Fish, Ontario - HCRY 912 east - HCRY 3013-HCRY 3010-HCRY 3012

It was still fairly early in the day so I decided to wait for the train to turn around and head back to Sault Ste. Marie. After a couple hours I heard it approaching.

  • White Fish, Ontario - HCRY 911 west - HCRY 3010-HCRY 3013

Since we were both headed to Sault Ste. Marie I decided to follow the train and photograph it at a variety of locations. My first waypoint was Lively.

  • Lively, Ontario - HCRY 911 west - HCRY 3010-HCRY 3013
  • McKerrow, Ontario - HCRY 911 west - HCRY 3010-HCRY 3013
  • Webbwood, Ontario - HCRY 911 west - HCRY 3010-HCRY 3013

Trains run rather slowly on the Huron Central's Webbwood and McKerrow Subdivisions so it was an easy chase. However, after Webbwood the day was getting on so I decided to call off the chase. My timing was rather perfect considering I heard on the scanner that the train was on the ground at mile 58 in Massey, the next town west of Webbwood. With nothing left to see I drove directly to Sault Ste. Marie and checked into the Travelodge for three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment