Saturday, May 24, 2003

Trackside Log for Saturday, May 24, 2003

For my first weekend in Sault Ste. Marie I decided to make the trek north to the White River area. The former Algoma Central Soo Subdivision runs through wilderness with little access along the route. I wasn't hearing anything on the scanner so I drove directly to Hawk Junction to see what might be happening there. I also planned to find the passenger train there for a photograph. I got lucky and discovered train 11 north too.

  • Hawk Junction, Ontario - AC 11 north - CN 5616-CN 5600
  • Hawk Junction, Ontario - AC 2 south - CN 9541

Having photographed the only two trains on the line I continued north.

At this time of year in Northern Ontario you have to be very careful driving on the Trans-Canada Highway. It's very common to find moose on the road. To get an idea of how truly brutal the black flies are in the area, they chase the moose out of the forest and into the open. Yikes! Well, I did encounter several moose along the road but successfully navigated to White River without incident and enough light for some photographs of the Canadian Pacific Railway. I headed west on the Heron Bay Subdivision to check it out.

  • Heron Bay, Ontario - CP westbound - CP 9135-CP 9681-CP 5965
  • Heron Bay, Ontario - CP westbound - CP 9138-CP 9534

The sun was quickly heading toward the horizon so I made my way back to White River and checked into the Continental Motel for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment