Friday, April 22, 2011

Trackside Log for Friday, April 22, 2011

Today was Good Friday and Missy and I started it by taking a drive to see if we could photograph Canadian National train 421. First we passed by Canadian Pacific's Welland Yard to see if there was any activity. Lo and behold a northbound had just arrived.

  • 1003 Welland - CP 255 north - CP 6016-CITX 3095-CITX 3170

After a few photographs we headed for the Canadian National Stamford Subdivision. I always cruise by Netherby diamond to check out the signals. When we drove over the Netherby Road crossing everything was red in both directions. However, at the same moment I heard train 421 switching in Port Robinson Yard. Our timing was good so I drove to House Road in Stevensville and waited.

  • 1059 Stevensville - CN 421 east - CN 8927-CN 2627

Since I'd found my prey and that's what amounts to traffic in Niagara these days Missy and I returned home. I left the scanner on for the day but there was no activity on the Canadian Pacific Hamilton Subdivision until the afternoon when train 246 called out the Smithville mile board. It was getting cloudier but I took Missy to Sumbler Road for a photograph anyway.

  • 1608 Fenwick - CP 246 south - CP 9768-CITX 2796-SOO 6057

That evening I decided it would be a nice change to drive Missy to Attercliffe Station and take her for a walk over the abandoned portion of the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Dunnville Subdivision to what remains of E&O Junction. Then we followed the abandoned Canada Southern right of way back out. The foundation of E&O tower is still there but not much else. It was a nice walk nonetheless.

That night I still had the scanner on and heard Canadian Pacific empty ethanol train 627 obtain a clearance from Brookfield to Kinnear. When it approached town I wandered outside to take a look although it was quite truly dark.

  • 2305 Fenwick - CP 627 north - CP 8756-CEFX 1030

As the train rattled through the Church Street crossing it began to rain so I returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment