Saturday, April 30, 2011

Trackside Log for Saturday, April 30, 2011

Today was predicted to be very nice: sunny and warm. After the wind storm of Thursday I could use some relaxation so Missy and I got the camera and Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman and headed out for the day. I decided that the Canadian National's Dundas Subdivision would be my target for the day. I started off in Copetown where I encounterred train 393 emerging from the sunshine.

  • 0811 Copetown - CN 393 west - CN 5777-IC 1019

The shadows were parallel to the rails in Copetown so I drove to Power Line Road in Lynden for a better angle. I arrived at Lynden in tandem with train 393.

  • 0820 Lynden - CN 393 west - CN 5777-IC 1019

Once I arrived at Power Line Road I waited for the two morning VIA trains. It didn't take long at all.

  • 0839 Lynden - VIA 671 west - VIA 6454
  • 0847 Lynden - VIA 70 east - VIA 6425

Then it got quiet. It was another hour and a half before train 148 appeared.

  • 1016 Lynden - CN 148 east - CN 5742-CN 2641

Then it got extremely quiet. After nearly two hours of nothing I drove to Brantford for a change of scenery and some lunch which was eaten at the VIA station while waiting for train 72.

  • 1220 Brantford - VIA 72 east - VIA 915

After 72 passed by I decided to head to the former station site in Paris for train 73. While en route I heard train 588 alert the dispatcher they were ready to return to Brantford from Paris Junction. I met up with them at Power Line Road between Paris and Brantford.

  • 1248 west of Brantford - CN 588 east - CN 7039

Just as I was approaching the station site in Paris train 73 set off the detector at mile 27. With little time to spare I managed to photograph it.

  • 1301 Paris - VIA 73 west - VIA 6401

I passed by the signals at Market Street to see they were all red. I continued west until Princeton where Missy and I got out an relaxed on the grass behind the post office. Nothing moved on the Canadian National's Dundas Subdivision. So far today I managed mostly to read my book and not much else.

With nothing on the horizon and word of a couple trains on the Canadian Pacific's Galt Subdivision I made the short drive north to Gobles Road just west of Drumbo and waited there. Upon arrival I noticed the signal east of the road was lit although this turned out to be a false occupancy. Before long a signal maintainer obtained a track permit to check it out. Not long after he drove by in the hi-rail an eastbound ethanol train was allowed through.

  • 1602 Gobles - CP 626 east - CP 5970-DME 6364-DME 6092-CITX 3055

Next the signal maintainer repaired the issue and the westbound that had been waiting in the siding in Wolverton was able to pass as well.

  • 1641 Gobles - CP 441 west - CP 5925-CP 5988

In an effort to improve the angle of the sun I drove to Woodstock where the Galt Subdivision runs north to south. I waited there for a while but all I managed to do was narrowly miss the London Pickup. After a while I heard a Canadian National eastbound and decided to call it quits.

I began my journey homeward on Highway 403 and encountered train 330 perched atop the bridge over the highway. I exited into Brantford and went to Hardy to see it. Just as I walked up to the tracks VIA train 675 blew through with an F40PH-2 decorated with Coors Light decals.

  • 1858 Hardy - VIA 675 west - VIA 6408

Then it was 330's turn.

  • 1900 Hardy - CN 330 east - CN 2556-5738

Train 330 met a westbound between Lynden and Massey's but by this point I didn't really care. I just drove for home. The most productive part of the day was being able to read through three quarters of my book. Next time I'll either just stay home or head to New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment